Monday, March 12, 2012

Italy vacation: Two weeks - what should I see?

I am a 35 year old American visiting Italy with my brother for two weeks in May. I enjoy art, good food, scenery and history - so Italy will be great. I only have two weeks though! I want to see Florence, Rome and Venice. I assume I can get away with 2 days at each. Besides that, which should I see of the following (the others on my wish list):



Siena

Dolomiti / Dolomites

Lake Como

Milan

Bologna

Umbria and Tuscany (mountain villages, etc)

Assissi

Naples (and Pompei ruins)

Amalfi Coast

Cinque Terre

Others that I have missed



Thanks!Italy vacation: Two weeks - what should I see?
Hi!

I got to tour Italy in 2005.

The places I loved were:

ROME was my favorite, it was my first time there

Verona -- (hey, if you like art and history, this is supposedly the place Romeo%26amp;Juliet took place!)

Florence is great, too

and Venice is great, but honestly, it was my least favorite out of all the stops we made on our trip.

I was NOT impressed with Genoa -- in case that city pops up in your options. It's supposed to be where Christopher Columbus grew up -- and that's about the only cool thing about it. I found it felt somewhat cloistered and dirty.

But I LOVE Italy. You should be able to find something you enjoy anywhere you go there. :)

Have a great time!

Oh -- and the food is great EVERYWHERE. ;)

Let me know what you end up liking best!
hi my name is Kiara well if your interested maybe you could visit some designer stores and take a look at some famous art, CiaoItaly vacation: Two weeks - what should I see?
You may want to take a little more time for the places mentioned, Flrorence has too much to offer for just 2 days for sure. Other places I found of interest: Bologna, Siena. Umbria and Tuscany are also well worth a visit.
Most beautiful cities in Italy are Rome, Venice and Florence.

Then if you have only 2 days I suggest to visit little cities!



This is my 10 favourite places (in order o preference)



Siena (medieval and renaissance, amazing!)

S. Gimignano (the most beautiful medieval site in Italy)

Pisa (Piazza dei miracoli!)

Assisi (Basilica di S. Francesco)

Capri (the most beautiful isle of Europe)

Portofino (un gioiello)

Lucca (Piazza anfiteatro)

Bologna (the oldest university of Europe)

Bergamo (a little Paradise)

Vicenza (the city of Palladio)
ITALY molto bello . ciao
I suggest you go with the flow a bit. Italy is not a place to rush through. You may find that you want to stay longer in the places you mentioned. Also, leave room for flexibility and exploring. All the places you listed are a joy, but trying to get too much in will have you travelling here, there and everywhere and not being anywhere. Personally, I like the smaller villages where real Italy is.
Two weeks is good amount of time...

We were there for 5 days...

1. Pisa was my favorite (you can take a 1 hr train from Florence, half day trip), you could combine a trio to Lucca near Pisa...

2. Rome needs at least 5 days to do justice if you want to do the Vatican city too (worth it).

3. Venice 1 day may be enough, My suggestion is to stay in Mestre as you may find better rates and hotels... and is convenient to commute.



Important: Remember to buy souvenirs... I wish I had picked a Colosseum miniature, and a murano glass sovn...:(



Enjoy your trip...

Another trip: Night trains are a great way to save time...
Here is a list of a few "must visit" towns in Tuscany:



Lucca - http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=189



Siena - http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=121



Pisa - http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=115



San Gimignano - http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=97



Fiesole - http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=71



and of course



Florence - http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=51



Hope it helps.
you can get vacation packages off ebay now really cheap. here's the direct link
I'd recommend at least 3 days in Venice %26amp; Florence %26amp; 4 in Rome - that's where the majority of the tourist stuff is. Pisa %26amp; the Leaning tower is an easy day trip from Florence, and you could add a day in Siena between Florence %26amp; Rome. You might be able to hit the Lake Como also - between Venice %26amp; Florence. Enjoy Italy, it ROCKS!
I think you should see "valle dei templi" in south Sicily.Many greek monuments in the province of Agrigento,I have seen it and is very astonishing are better than greek monuments in Greece with respect of the greeks.You can visit also Sardinia is very nice with his blue sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment