Friday, February 24, 2012

Capri and Sorrento or drive the Amalfi Coast to Amalfi?

I have one extra day in Naples November 5th. I will visit Pompeii and tour Naples on the 4th. Should I visit Capri and Sorrento or should I drive the Amalfi Coast to the town of Amalfi? Please don't tell me to do both. Ican't spend any more time there.Capri and Sorrento or drive the Amalfi Coast to Amalfi?
If you've only got a day, Sorrento or Capri would be good. You'll use less of your time in transit. You can get to Capri directly from Naples by taking the boat from Molo Beverello. http://www.capri.net/en/ship-timetable



The Amalfi coast is better to visit when you have more time. Amalfi is only one of the towns worth visiting there.
Capri, Capri.....

We spent a week on Capri and day tripped out against the hoards of tourists. Which you should miss in November.

On Capri, get out of the main plaza quickly and head up or down. We liked the hike to Tiberius's home, a wonderful stroll. We love Italy in the Fall but we did Capri over Easter, I'm curious what Capri is like in November.

Vacanza, Vacanza.... Ciao.

Lawson

TexasCapri and Sorrento or drive the Amalfi Coast to Amalfi?
I am in love with Sorrento, so laid back, the shopping there is unique, with gazillions of outside vendors. I enjoyed the closeness, everything within walking distance, felt safe
I gotta vote for Capri.......everyone should see it at least once!



Just breathtakingly beautiful.
Great question... but tough to answer!



It all depends on what you like to do.



Sorrento is by far the busiest - with lots of things to do but also very "Neapolitan," chaotic, lots of traffic.



Capri is the most touristic... and expensive. But, it's one of those things (like taking a gondola ride in Venice) that you just have to do!



Amalfi will be the more serene... and the drive on the "Amalfitana" is an experience in itself! Especially around sunset... surreal.



So, the answer really lies with you and what you are looking for with this experience.



Personally, from my experience in traveling Italy, you can throw Sorrento out. Both Amalfi and Capri offer the same things for a day trip with all the chaos.



Then, Amalfi isn't as touristic as Capri... and the drive is fantastic. But Capri is something everyone should do once - even though it isn't exactly "authentic" Italy (Ischia can give you a better taste of that, if your looking for something more authentic.)



My vote? For the average traveler never planning to come back to the area again - go to CAPRI!



A little touristy for my taste... but you'll love it ;-)



If you need anything else feel free to contact me!
I would choose Amalfi or Positano

No comments:

Post a Comment