Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Maui vacation?

Sheraton Maui Resort

Grand Wailea Resort - The Waldorf-Astoria Collection



I am gettign married this september and my future wife was wanting togo to Maui for our honeymoon. Doing research of the various hotels and resorts on Maui, Those two hotels are my choice. Yeah, i know its expensive, but It's our honeymoon.



I was wanting to know if any of the Yahoo'ers have been to these hotels, or even Maui and can recomend some newleyweeds a hotel choice and what to do and to expect.Maui vacation?
Congratulations! I've stayed at both the Sheraton Maui and the Grand Wailea, as well as the Fairmont Kea Lani, the Hyatt, the Maui Prince, and a lot of other properties. Maui is my absolute favorite island...it's certainly a great honeymoon destination.



For the record, let me just say my favorite has always been the Fairmont Kea Lani (OV suite), which is just down the beach walk from the Grand Wailea. It's a bit more quiet, but you still get the benefit of the full luxury resort treatment.



The Grand Wailea is luxurious and a couple notches above the Sheraton. To be honest, I'm perfectly happy in either. But I feel the real distinction is the type of beach (check out Google Maps and you'll see what I mean) and the number of people. I prefer staying in Wailea over Kaanapali because it means fewer people and more upscale choices.



The Sheraton Maui is on Kaanapali Beach (at Black Rock). Kaanapali is a long stretch of beach (not too long that you can't run/walk from one end to the other). All the resorts sit on the same beach, and black rock gets a lot of snorkel "traffic" from neighboring resorts and visitors. Kaanapali is also within a long walk or trolley ride to "downtown" Lahaina, where you can shop, have a nice dinner, go dancing, etc. Most scuba/fishing/snorkel tours depart from Lahaina, so it is rather convenient, if a little busy.



The Grand Wailea is in the luxury resort/golf area of Wailea, about 45minutes South. Wailea is more upscale than Kaanapali. Most all Wailea Resorts (except the Prince) are connected by a beach-walk. But the beaches themselves are large coves. When people shop, they go to the Shops at Wailea which is right behind the , It's more private and you don't get the same beach traffic that happens in Kaanapali. Snorkeling's not bad right outside of the Grand Wailea, but the real amazing snorkeling is about another 15min South, just beyond Makena in a tiny little cove in Ahihi Bay. Some of the things you can expect with the Grand Wailea...they don't nickle and dime you to death with little things like cabana rentals. If I remember right, their catamaran (for snorkeling trips) and the poolside cabana's are complimentary (but first come first served). At the Sheraton, there isn't a catamaran and the poolside lounge is almost always too crowded. So yes, it is more expensive, but you get your money's worth.



Hope this helps...and hope you have an incredible Maui honeymoon!
I've been to the Sheraton Maui Resort in Lahina, I believe. It was great, just perfect. If you are into snorkeling, you will be in heaven on Maui. Shopping is great in the Lahina area too. Just don't forget the sun screen because a sun burn happens real fast. I actually time myself out in the sun the first few days so I wouldn't get burnt.Maui vacation?
i've been to both and they are both excellent hotels! those are two of the best on the island where locals like me would go for a vacation. yah, we spent spring break in hotels on the other side of the island...it was a blast! both places have friendly staff and the beach is right there! you can't go wrong with either hotel. good luck and have fun! alooooha!
I've been, and maui is the most pricey of all the islands, but very beautiful. The Ritz Carlton is so so nice. Have you looked into that? There's a few pic's of the hotel here.



Enjoy and congrats.

http://maui.nyctourist.com/maui-hotels.p鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment